Bookmark your site in style.
Website icons (primarily known as “favicons”) are a great way to show off your logo and give your website a little something to help it stand out. The favicon shows up in three places:
- In the browser’s tab, when the website is open (in most browsers, this appears to the left of the web site title).
- As the icon for a bookmark.
- If you have a good browser (a.k.a. “anything but Internet Explorer”), and that browser has a bookmarks bar, your favicon will be the icon for the bookmark here as well.
FavIcons are super easy to set up:
- Generate your favicon.
- Take your .ico file and place it within your website directory (anywhere is fine, but I personally like to use an “images” folder).
- Create a link to the favicon in the <head> tag of your page.
- Keep in mind that the favicon only appears on pages with this link. So if you have a template or master page that every page on your site uses, place it here! Otherwise, you’ll need to place it on every page in your site.
- You must specify the relation attribute of your link to be “Shortcut Icon”.